Monday 5 May 2014

A Month In - How Am I Doing?

It's been a month since I started commuting to my new job in Dundee (A 1:15 train ride from my fixed abode). What I can say for certain is that it can't go on forever, even if I'm currently keeping up with it. Why not? My poor body, that's why not.

I have indeed been getting leaner, which is something I've been meaning to do. However, I have been losing out from not attending the gym as often and also not getting a huge amount of sleep.
My mind is fine with the lack of sleep, but my body aches and complains and is weaker than before. I eagerly anticipate weekends, not as a chance for fun, but a chance to repair; this is surely not the way to carry on.
Fortunately, I won't be carrying on for much longer and will hopefully be getting back on track in about a month's time.
I showed up at the Gym yesterday for a session to ease myself back in after a week of walking and running, and my numbers weren't terrible. In deadlifts, I managed 8 reps of 70kg, 3 reps of 90kg and 1 good rep of 110kg. I managed a few chinups, too. Overall, nothing spectacular, but things could have been worse.

I don't feel like I've fallen off the wagon, though; there's no sense of guilt, nor any fear that I won't get back into it now. Perhaps a sign that my confidence is growing in general.

One area that's showing improvement is my running. I haven't really run for months and have started attending the weekly 5k I used to frequent, and it turns out I haven't lost too much in terms of aerobic fitness. I think it'll be a while before I beat my 22:40 PB, though.

TL;DR, I'm doing good. There are challenges, I'm meeting them and learning things. It's a bit mundane, really...

No comments:

Post a Comment